Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Welcome to Piston Fit (yeah, right)


Welcome

"Piston-fit" is a term used to describe perfectly fitting drawers, that when opened and closed, have a drag introduced by the air having to sneak its way around the edges creating a cushion of air feeling to the drawer movement. Yeah, I have never got anything like that so far.

Well, this is my first post. So welcome. I apologize up-front for the fact that I am the world's biggest hack. I have a college degree, in Mathematics, but most of what I know is just a jumbled collection of random skills collected over my life, dictated by my interest at the time. When my childhood-friend John and I were young, we decided we would be "Renaissance Men" when we grew up and know everything about everything. A lofty goal for 10-year-olds. After 40 years, the result is I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little. I realized too late that I will never reach a certain level of excellence in one area, because it just doesn't hold my interest long enough, and I don't achieve "perfection". I end up with "pretty good" some times, but mostly "good enough for me". I do strive to improve all the time, and I think I get better, but I often settle for "good enough" on any particular project.

This blog is about one of my long-term interests: woodworking. I took wood-shop in jr. high and high school, and made some stuff at the craft shop in college, but hadn't done any more wood working for many years, when I got a big raise, and started buying power tools. I went through the usual sequence of buying tools slowly until I had most of the critical tools for making some basic furniture. I made some of jigs for cutting mortises with a router and a tenoning jig for the table saw, cross-cut sleds, work benches...

I only just recently started buying nice hand tools for planing, cutting, marking, chiseling, and carving. Man that stuff adds up fast.

Anyway, I plan on using this blog as a way to chronicle my past, current, and ongoing woodworking projects. Here we go.


No comments:

Post a Comment