Friday, April 18, 2014

Storage chest for my Planes and Sharpening stones 1

The planning stage

I want to make a storage chest for my hand planes, and my sharpening stones and guides. I came across various versions of the Japanese tool chest on the web, and I thought it would be fun to use that design for my chest. I worked up a version in SketchUp and posted it to 3D Warehouse a while ago, so I downloaded it and modified the dimensions to fit my new chest requirements.

Here is an image of the SketchUp model so far:

Here is a link to the model posted on 3D Warehouse:


Here is an animation of how the locking lid works:


Basically I want to be able to pull out a smaller box containing my hand planes, and keep my sharpening materials in the bottom of the chest. There will need to be cleats attached to the insides for the plane box to sit on. I measured all my planes and stones and guides, and used them to determine the overall dimensions of the chest. The chest will be 16" wide, 13 3/4 " deep, and 27 1/2" long. Since I will have to glue up boards to make them 14 1/4" wide to make up the ends and sides, I will end up using more through tenons than the eight shown. I will want the tenons to help the glue hold the ends and side boards together along the grain as well as holding the sides against the ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment