Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Storage Chest for my Planes and Sharpening Stones 3

Putting it all together


I chopped the remaining mortises, and added a 6 degree slant to the inside faces.



I decide to just add wedges to the inside (toward the center) of the tenons. I don't think that pine would flex very well without breaking or splitting, if I tried to put the wedge in the tenon. I cut the wedges by putting that peace of elm I was planing earlier in my tenoning jig and cutting off enough for 16 wedges. I kept the saw blade at the same 6 degrees I used to make the chisel guide.

Here is a drawing of the setup of pairing down with the chisel against a guide to make the slant on the side of the mortises consistent.


Here are the sides and ends put together with the wedges inserted.


Now I need to glue all this together and trim off the wedges. Then I can start on the handles and the lid assembly.



Yea! Its square!




Now I can trim up the bottom and glue it on. I know at some point I have to decide what other fasters to use. I tend toward regular wood screws, but all the traditional boxes of this kind use cut nails. I have never used them and am afraid they would split the wood. Would cut nails split these cheap pine boards? I know I will need to pre-drill the holes either way.




No comments:

Post a Comment