Monday, April 14, 2014

Queen-Sized Bed Complete

Finally


I finished the queen-sized bed this weekend. I am generally happy with the results. It was made from quarter-sawn oak I got from Jim Starr, and black walnut that Hartley Calvin gave me years ago. I made the dresser and side table that goes with it years ago. I am glad this project is finally put to bed. Now I can start on the next project. The arc in the top of the head-board and foot-board was made with a large router trammel I made. the Sketch-up model is at:

Sketch-up Link of Bed Model


This is the completed bed in the guest room.

Here is the foot-board assembled.

Here are the side rails. I used the 6 x 5/8" Heavy Duty Wrought Steel Bed Rail Fastener Set from Rockler. I inset the metal plates about 1/16 of an inch, so there is room for adjustment later. If they are loose, you have some room to tighten.

Here is the bed partially completed in the wood shop.

I made a compound dovetail for the tabs sticking out from the side rail supports. I wanted to be able to tie the side rails together later if needed and wanted somewhere to put in a dowel that wasn't too close to the end of the cross slat.




No comments:

Post a Comment