Saturday, June 14, 2014

Oh, I forgot the button

One more thing

I got the tote done and installed today. I put it a little too close to the iron, but it is OK. I just have to use a little helper piece of wood to reach the top of the iron to strike it. I still need to put a strike button on the toe. I started to turn a piece of maple for a button, but I am missing a part on my lath that holds down the back part. It fell off and is laying around somewhere. I thought I could just glue a piece of wenge on there for now. Anyway, it turned out great. I planed the edges of some boards with it and I was getting fine shavings the whole length of the boards. Yay!

I used the tote template shown in the great tutorial by Sumokun at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7zP4pajYo . I used quartersawn oak and oriented the grain about 45 degree so the little stub sticking out would be strong. I also enlarge the tote to fit my giant hands.

This is the plane after installing the tote. I chopped out the mortise for the tote with a chisel and flattened the bottom of the mortise with a router plane.


I will add the button, and chamfer the top outer edges and bevel the top edge of the wedge. The last step will be putting some finish oil on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment