Saturday, May 10, 2014

Storage Chest 5 Plus a storage box for my carving tools

Last Look at the Chest

Well, I added the cross piece to the lid to make the Z pattern. I threw a couple desiccant bags I get from work in there with my hand planes and have been using it for a week or so. I set it up on the floor on a couple of pieces of wood to make it easier to get into. I love the way the lid and lock works. That was a fun project.

  

Storage Case for Carving Gouges

A while back, I got a set of Ashley Iles dove-tail chisels plus a couple optional chisels making the total set have 8 chisels. The little chisel roll that came with the set had six pockets. Last year I got a Two-Cherries 6-chisel set which came in a nice leather roll with, like, twelve pockets. I swapped chisels and rolls and now my chisels all have a home. I also keep a cheap 1/4 inch bench chisel with my dove-tail set because I use it for any heavy chopping I need to do if I leave too much waste after sawing out the waste with the jeweler's saw. Now I just needed somewhere to put my carving gouges.

I bought the gouges a while back and have just kept them in the postage box they came in, in there individual plastic sleeves. I saw the chisel case that David Barron uses to keep his dovetail chisels handy, and I thought I would make a similar deal for my carving gouges and other carving tools.

I used some scrap for everything, because I am not confident enough to tear into the nice wood I bought in St. Louis a few months ago. I get a piece of zebra wood, birds-eye maple, and wenge. I can't believe how expensive that was. The scraps I used were from my bed project, plus one old piece of Alder (I think), from an old bed repair I did years ago for a friend. Anyway, here is the finished case. I stained it with Gun-Stock Minwax stain, and then a couple coats of shellac.

I made it roughly 12 x 16 x 2 1/2 inches. The lid was from a piece of oak that was 3/4 inches thick, and 6 inches wide. I resawed it to make book matched, 5/16 inch pieces that I edge glued to make the panel. I used the alder for the sides.I used plywood for the bottom.

The lid slides along the slots cut into the back and sides. The supports are made from the leftover pine from the storage chest. I just drilled 1 1/4 inch holes for the handle supports, and 5/8 holes for the smaller supports that keep the pointy ends from touching. I made room for 9 gouges, but only had six, so I was able to put my carving knifes and small carving tools/pouch in there as well.

The Alder I used for the sides (or what ever that old wood was) didn't take the stain very well. It didn't really have a visible grain, so it looks kind of splotchy. This was the first time I used shellac. I like it.  The dovetails turned out pretty good. I am trying to perfect my technique so I can use some of that fancy wood I bought.

Here is a link to the SketchUp model at 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment